Saturday, January 30, 2010

Incomplete

Day 22

Before reading this post I would like you to listen to this song, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9e3k-fpnOE. Alanis Morrisette's, Incomplete, was the inspiration for the URL of this blog. My favorite lyric is this-
"I have been running so sweaty my whole life, urgent for a finish line. And I have been missing the rapture this whole time of being forever incomplete."
I decided a while ago that I would forget these invisible finish lines we all have hovering over us. These ridiculous promises we make to ourselves. It's just so sad that as humans we feel the need to "do this before that" and "get this done by that time". How often do we say to ourselves,"One day I'll do this...", or "I'm going to be like this someday...", or "If I could just do this, I'd be able to..." I can't tell you how many potentially pleasant moments in my life were spoiled by these self appointed, completely unrealistic expectations. I wonder how much of my life has been spent focusing on what needs to happen in the future. How much time did I lose as I was compulsively making these mental pledges? Why didn't I just take a breath and bask in the splendor of the present? Why couldn't I just accept the moment for what it was and let evolution take care of the future and what it holds? Here's the thing...there are no finish lines. Personally I don't even consider death a finish line because there is always something of you that continues to live. I bet if we stepped back and enjoyed the "rapture of being forever incomplete" we'd be less apt to care about what others are better at. I can guarantee we'd be more productive, and we'd be secure in the lives we are personally living and be friends with our goals, instead of slaves to them.




Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment