Sunday, March 14, 2010

Traditional Irish Soda Bread

Day 66

I had the opportunity to visit Ireland a few years ago, and it was everything and more than I expected. (Although I am still a little bummed I didn't run into Jonathan Ryes Myers). I was in heaven there- surrounded by other fair-skinned, red-heads and a history as rich as it's soil. But I can honestly say that one of my favorite memories is the soda bread served with each meal. Until today I had never made Irish soda bread. You want some now, don't you?

Traditional Irish Soda Bread

3 cups flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 Tbsp baking powder

1 tsp Salt

1 egg

2 cups buttermilk

1/4 cup butter (melted)

(I added a handful a raisins too, just because that's how I had it in Ireland.)


Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the egg and buttermilk and add to the flour mixture. Mix and add melted butter. Bake at 325 for an hour or so.

It's better when it has had a chance to sit for a few hours or even over night. Serve along with your corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes. Cheers!

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment