Monday, July 5, 2010

Birth Center- Part 2

Day 164

I woke up to the exciting news that my friend had her baby last night. I'm always cautious when entering the hospital room on labor and delivery- you just never know what you're going to walk into. Thankfully, as I slid through the door there was a genuinely glowing, happy Mommy and this tiny, pink, beautifully sleeping angel in her bassinet. I guess I am going to have to just accept that entering a birth center, with it's heavenly, fresh, absolutely intoxicating baby scent is always going to send me into this temporary "I-want-a-baby-again-right-now" insanity. And that's just what it is...insanity! I HAVE a baby right now! Anyway, I digress. In an attempt to curb this short-lived high that I was on after leaving the hospital, and do my best to avoid Trenton until it passed, I decided to get busy cleaning out the garage. That's kind of my equivalent of a cold shower. I was sorting through my food storage and found my Honey Vanilla Chamomile herbal tea by Celestial Seasonings. I was drawn to the illustrations on the box, but found the most darling poem on the back...and learned from it.

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger paint more, and point my finger less.
I would do less correcting, and more connecting.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields, and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
I'd see the oak tree in the acorn more often.
I would be firm less often and affirm more often.
I'd model less the love of power,
and more about the power of love.

-Diane Loomins


Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment