Monday, May 9, 2011

Moms


When I was thanking my Mom last night for being such an amazing woman she actually had the nerve to say, "So you forgive me for all my faults in raising you?" First of all- I have no idea what she's talking about. I recognize that my mother isn't perfect, but she nearly is. Second of all- the woman birthed 6 kids and endured 2 2nd trimester miscarriages. Then she went on to stretch my dad's military income to meet the needs of a family of 8. Not only that, but she was always physically and emotionally available. She took me to school, picked me up from school, drove me to doctor's appointments, voice and piano lessons, swimming lessons, helped me with my science fair projects, taught me how to shop with coupons, and even picked her life up to move to Denver with me during one of my lengthy hospitalizations. She was always awake and willing to talk when I got home from dates and offered gentle advice about everything from the modesty of my skirt, to where I should go to college to who I should or should not marry. She went to prenatal appointments with me, and was in the room, wiping the sweat from my brow as I gave birth to my two babies. She never hesitates to set aside her busy life to spend time with her kids, and her grandkids. She truly is a woman to admire, and I get the honor of loving her too! But this got me thinking about how badly we women brutalize ourselves. My Mom's memory of how she raised us is built upon her self-perceived faults- instead of celebrating all the remarkable things she did. I wish we could be nicer to ourselves. But I think the most important lesson I have learned from her so far is the importance of patience. Patience during frustrating circumstances. Patience with other people. Patience with ourselves.

My other Mama has taught me the power of service. Laurie is always ready and willing to help anyone that needs it. She is such a wonderful Mother in law, and Grandma, and I will always be indebted to her for selflessly giving me the man of my dreams.

The most important lesson my kids have taught me so far is to relax and be thankful for every single day I get to spend with them.


I love being a Mama!

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment