Thursday, September 19, 2013

Stop Putting a "Should" in Everything.

I was at lunch the other day with my best friend, when she said something that seared through me like fire.  I was complaining about this and that, and she stopped me with, "Janet, get out of your head!  Our heads tell us what should be.  But our hearts tell us what actually is."

My friend was lovingly reminding me to stop wishing for and obsessing over things I don't have.  I didn't realize how much I was engaging in this destructive thought process until I tried to stop.  It's a habit, reinforced by motivational speakers, fitness instructors, religious leaders, and my own parents, to keep trying and never, ever, ever give up.

But you know what?  Giving up my appetite for just a few of the things I thought I wanted so badly has provided the opportunity to draw back a little, and sincerely appreciate the magic that already exists in my life.


I am finding that I'm most happy and productive when I only acknowledge what my heart tells me is real. It is through this process that I foster peace.



Janet (with Autum Burkett)

No comments:

Post a Comment