Monday, January 11, 2010

Sometimes There Is No Plan B.

Day 3

Okay- I was watching reruns of "Grey's Anatomy" and on this particular episode there was a patient that was complaining of severe abdominal pain. The Dr. came in with an X-Ray that showed some sort of foreign matter stuck in his intestine. Finally the patient admitted to eating his novel...literally. This man, a writer, was so upset by his mediocre work that he ate it to "put it behind him." As they were wheeling the man to surgery the Dr. suggested that the man quit writing and go with his "plan B" profession. The man said hopelessly, "I don't have a plan B!" It wasn't that he couldn't, or wouldn't be successful doing something else. It's that he was so passionate about writing that, in his mind, the option to take up another profession just didn't even exist. So, I learned today that I need to not be so flexible with my goals. I think 9 times out of 10 I don't meet my set goals because I'm counting on plan B to provide that soft safety net. But there are certain things in life that can not be backed up with a plan B and from now on I'm going to do a better job of making those things a priority.

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment