Thursday, February 11, 2010

Recipes

Day 33
My mom came over tonight because she needed my help editing some of her recipes. I have to admit that I was getting a little frustrated having to type such seemingly insignificant details-even down to which utensils to use. But then a realization washed over me. These are not just recipes. To a woman (especially a woman that has been using these tried and true recipes for 45 years) these recipes are the essence of who she is. I imagine each recipe reminds her of all the times she used it, all the people she's treated to it, and all the parties she's brought it to. I'm sure they remind her of whoever gave her the recipes, how she fed her six children with them, and how much excitement and anticipation she feels each time she thumbs through her box of broth and batter stained index cards to find that perfect combination of ingredients and directions. These are not just recipes and my mom continues to remind me that when someone gives you a recipe-they are giving a generous amount of memories along with it, and a delicious representation themselves.

Mom's Red Cake

Given to my mom by my grandma, Hazel Parr-a true southern woman.

Cake Batter

3/4 cup Butter

2 1/4 cups sugar

1 1/2 tsp Vanilla

3 eggs (added one at a time)

3 ounces Red food coloring

3 Tbsp cocoa powder

1 1/2 Tbsp vinegar

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

3 3/4 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes

Frosting

2 cups milk

10 Tbsp flour

Cook on medium heat and let cool.

2 cups sugar

2 cups butter

2 tsp vanilla

Mix and add cooled flour mix

First prepare two round 9'' pans with Crisco and flour. If red food coloring is not desired, just add 3 ounces of water instead. Mix ingredients in order and pour into cake pans. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes and then turn pans and cool completely. Make the frosting while the cakes are cooling. If you want to, double the frosting recipe and slice both cakes in two, or pour 3 cake pans with less batter. This way you have a larger, richer cake.


Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment