Sunday, December 26, 2010

"It's Wanting What You've Got"

Day 247

I had an emotional spanking today that reminded me to quit pining for things I don't have, and be truly content with those things I have already been blessed with. It's tough when your desires are "righteous" and you still feel that your wishes and prayers are being ignored. It's even more difficult when you want something that is so completely out of your hands, and always will be. But today I remembered that there really is a purpose behind everything that does or does not happen. Every moment in life is a potential teacher. Even when it sucks. Richard Carlson puts it well when he says, "The truth is, there's no better time to be happy than right now. If not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway." Even more, Alfred D' Souza said, "For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin- real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be got through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see that there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way."


And I can't help but think, and hope, that someday I will understand and even be thankful for all the things I didn't get, at the exact time I asked for them. Just as I hope Emma will eventually appreciate that I didn't give into her every whim and desire for chocolate and barbie dolls.

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment