Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Storage

Day 248

The week between Christmas and New Year's is weird for me. I feel kind of depressed and hopeful at the same time. The depression stems from all the anticipation, spirituality, and cheer that is Christmas, being over for another year. Now that Christmas has passed, I have to take a long, hard look at my finances. It's really no longer okay to eat fudge for breakfast, and I feel like the beautiful decorations around the house, and city are just mocking me, instead of bringing me the joy they had before December 26th. But as I mentioned, I also feel hopeful. The week before New Year's allows for a final review of the year. I have time to sit and think about the things I've learned, what I'm thankful for, and what I'd like to change in the coming year.

One of my absolute favorite things to do when I'm ringing in the new year is buy storage bins. I actually become giddy as I walk into a super store that has been decked with organizational tools, with their almost sweet clean scented manila and plastic. I'm sure you've noticed that they line the isles (that were most recently filled with Christmas decorations) with folders, crates, bins, baskets, and plastic tubs. This is a commercialized way of reminding us that during this time we should be reorganizing, reevaluating, and cleaning up the messes made this year. Once that has been done, we can move on to the next year with a healthy, unburdened, fresh perspective (and home).

I hope you can make peace with all that went down in 2010. And I hope even more that you can find peace with what's coming up in 2011!






Janet

1 comment:

  1. How funny! I bought some bins last night to get some of Aly's toys organized and I was about to make a post about storage also! Oh Janet! I love you! Lol!

    ReplyDelete