Sunday, November 15, 2015

Thankful Sign

Need a last minute craft idea to dress up your front porch for the Holidays?  This project is versatile, dramatic, and simple.  My talented friend, Amanda Malnar, came up with the idea for this adorable sign, and I think you will absolutely love it.  

I used a 1 by 10 common board and cut it to 6 feet tall.


You can use any wood stain or paint color you like.  I chose a weathered gray so it would coordinate well with the brick on the exterior of my home.  But you can skip this step altogether if you prefer the look of natural wood.


If you do choose to use stain, brush on one coat and wipe clean with a rag.  This will allow the natural grain of the wood to shine through.


I just printed letters on plain computer paper. Then I cut them out, placed them evenly, and traced around them.


Next, I used a small paint brush and a creamy paint color to fill in the letters.



Once the paint dried, I used a fine grit sandpaper sponge to distress the board and the letters a bit.  I prefer the weathered look, but you can choose to skip the sandpaper and keep the letters nice and crisp.   My next step will be to trace and paint the word "Peace" on the other side for Christmas.  It's going to be so nice to save storage by getting two holidays out of one decoration. 



I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving!


By Janet Schlosser @ forgetthefinishline.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment